Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009! What Will It Bring???

New Year! New You? Well, let's hope so! I guess the older you get, the more your wishes for the New Year change. Notice I didn't say resolutions???!!! I don't do them. For more years than I care to remember, losing weight, of course is at the top of my list. But, this year, hell yes I want to lose weight. But, I am trying a different approach.......

I have noticed in my wise old age of 44 that as we get older, and especially as our children get older, time seems to fly by. I touched on this a bit in my last post. But, this year, I am making "slow and steady" my approach. We always tend to "wish" our lives away and when we do, mostly what we get is another year gone by.

Remember when we were kids and we wished our lives away? Especially with my oldest son...he wished his life away. I can remember him wishing he was 10, then wishing he were in middle school, then wishing he were in high school, can't wait til I turn 15 so I can get my permit, 16 so I can drive, 18 because (well I'm not sure why other than you are an adult - whatever that means), I can't wait til I graduate, I can't wait til I go to college, I can't wait til I graduate college, I can't wait til I get married, get funding for my master's, get my PhD........okay, my point is all the while..................he's wishing his life away. How many of us are present in our lives when we are wishing we were that magic age? It all comes and goes so fast. I, of course, wanted him to go through these milestones, but not so damned fast! LOL (I use him as an example, because well, my youngest isn't so eager to take on the world!)

So, this year, I want to savor every moment. Slow down. Take the time to pay attention to what goes on around us. We all get caught up in the every day hustle and bustle and forget to breathe, relax, enjoy............?.................Let's all try to do this in the upcoming year. Of course we all need to take care of our families, that's what we do. But let's see you (us) take care of yourself (ourselves).

I will start it for us...............tomorrow I go for a massage! I plan on doing this more often this year. I am also planning our beach trip for June. Invest in yourself. This doesn't mean spend money, just invest in your health, your sanity.................YOU ARE WORTH IT!! (Oh, and SO AM I!!!!!)

What will you do for you within the next week?????????????

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Good post. I guess I have never thought of it that way...interesting. I should slow down this year also and enjoy every moment of it.

Have a wonderful year!

Anonymous said...

I adore and needed your words about slowing down.
being PRESENT.

living not going through the motions of life in 09.

Chews to Lose said...

I've wasted my life away waiting until I lose weight. I should probably take some of your advice and just do it now. Live now.

Danielle said...

Oh yeah! Great present from the husband... massages are heaven on earth! I love them...

Time flies by and I know I struggle with living in the present and staying in the moment. It can be painful and it can also bring joy... I have avoided the painful present so much because of my weight struggles that I have lost some years... I don't want to continue that!

Your post really got me thinking. I hope you can enjoy the moments in 2009. You seem to be on the rebound and reflecting deeply on life right now!

Samantha said...

I don't use resolutions either. I always fail with them.. now I use changes, like you! I totally agree about slowing time down. I'm 20 years old and as much as I want to hurry and have my own house, get married, have kids, etc.. then I always think how fast everything has already gone! I'm almost 21 and engaged!!! Goodness. So I agree that we need to take it slowly and love the present.

Stages of Change said...

" I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round,
I really love to watch them roll,
No longer riding on the merry-go-round,
I just had to let it go," -John Lennon.

Amen to your thoughts. I've ran away from life for all of mine. Never being conscious, never present, never in the moment. How about we make this a year of getting off that merry go round and just start taking it a day at a time. Slow and steady and the progress we desire and the pleasures (healthy ;) that we enjoy will all heppn.

Weight Loss Ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Easy Calorie Counting