Friday, October 29, 2010

Stepping out of my own comfort zone!

Okay, so I have always been a "shy" person when it comes to exercise. I only exercise at home with a DVD or walk in the neighborhood because I am so out of shape I don't want to embarrass myself. A bit of social anxiety if you will. UNTIL NOW!

I have a lot of friends at work and they have all been trying to talk me into Zumba. Well, I just knew I couldn't keep up or that because I have such a weight problem, that after 10 minutes I would have to stop. So, this past Monday night, I finally got up enough courage to go. Not have a clue what I was getting myself in for, I dreaded it all day long, but was a little excited as well. Compared to me, all of my friends are little and cute and well they just make me sick. Oh, each of them has a few pounds to lose...A FEW POUNDS! HA! I drink enough water today and I could be down a few pounds!

Anyway, so I show up.....guess what? I am not the fattest person in the room. I know that seems petty, but it did ease my anxiety a little. So, we get started. This instructor......little bitty tiny cute and bouncy, starts out show us steps and warming us up. I am like "ok, I can do this"...and I did. Then the pace picks up, and um........hey, I am keeping up. Then the pace picks up a bit more.........I look around (very little cuz you don't really have time to look around).......UM...HEY......I'm still keeping up and I am not the most uncoordinated in the room. Now, she does give us a little tiny bit of time to get water after each major song......which I have to have.....but an hour later....we are through and I am thinking "I THINK I REALLY LOVE THIS!" It was truly amazing! I had so much fun and was so excited that I could actually do this and do it for an HOUR!! OMG...this is so not me!

So, last night................I WENT AGAIN! The Thursday night class is only 45 minutes because its more face paced..........so I went in thinking "I love this...but wonder if I can keep up?" Well, I DID.........and I love it even more!

I feel so wonderful, not only on a physical level, but on a mental level as well. I am not one that likes to step out of that comfort zone much and with the anxiety issues I have dealt with all my life, this is MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR in my life.

Just wanted to share!

2 comments:

Tamzin said...

YAY!! I've been meaning to try a class like that.

I've been avoiding it.. but there is a thursday night class at my gym that I think I should start going to.

Thanks for the insiration to get out there!

Kimberly said...

Awesome!!! I have a social phobia too so I know how great you must feel to have overcome it to take that class. It takes work to make myself go to the fitness center where I am always the biggest person there. Sometimes though it is good for us to break out of our comfort zones and we can learn a little about ourselves.

Weight Loss Ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Easy Calorie Counting